Committed Family Law Representation

What Questions Are On Your Mind About Divorce In Pennsylvania?

I am divorce attorney John D. Sisto in Altoona. I generally receive questions about family law from residents of Blair, Bedford and Cambria counties. Glance over the questions and answers below and if you do not see your topic of concern there, please schedule a consultation to let me know what you are wondering about.

How long do I and/or my spouse need to live in Pennsylvania before getting divorced here?

At least one of you should have lived in the commonwealth for six months or longer before initiating a divorce here. Living in Pennsylvania means maintaining a physical presence here for that length of time with the intention of staying indefinitely.

Will I need to pay alimony? Or will I be eligible to receive alimony?

Pennsylvania’s laws state that alimony may be appropriate only if necessary. Many of the factors that help determine if alimony is needed are the same or similar to the considerations that go into property division. Other factors include either spouse’s contributions as a homemaker, marital misconduct of either spouse and either spouse’s needs.

Do I have to prove that my spouse was at fault to get a divorce?

No. However, it may become necessary to do so to speed things up if your spouse does not agree that the marriage is irretrievably broken. Without mutual consent, you will have to show that you two have lived apart for at least one year or that your spouse was at fault.

What are the grounds for divorce with fault in Pennsylvania?

Desertion, adultery, cruel treatment, bigamy, imprisonment for two years or more because of a crime, indignities, or insanity with institutionalization of at least 18 months. But if you and your spouse mutually consent to the divorce, neither of you has to prove that the other was at fault.

What will my divorce process or methods be like?

Depending on whether you and your spouse agree or can reach an agreement about how to divide your assets and care for your children if applicable, your divorce may follow one of these paths:

  • A simple uncontested divorce
  • Collaborative law, arbitration or mediation
  • A divorce trial

At John D. Sisto, P.C., I encourage clients to pursue divorce in the most sensible manner, all things considered. I can help you determine what that may mean in your case.

Bring Your Questions To My Attention

My nearly 30 years of experience in family law practice in and around Altoona can translate to a smooth divorce process for you when I represent you.

To schedule a consultation, call 814-425-5415 or send an email inquiry.